You may have heard that dental cleanings are essential to maintaining excellent oral health, but you may not understand why. Dental cleanings are completed by licensed dental professionals educated and trained to remove plaque and screen for oral health issues.
Far too many Tampa, FL patients neglect their twice-yearly dental cleaning appointments because they don't see any issue with their teeth or gums. After all, you brush and floss daily, and your smile feels great. What could the harm be?
We can go over a few reasons why teeth cleaning is so vital.
The Value of Dental Cleanings
What if I Miss Dental Cleanings?
- Cavities and tooth decay that go hand-in-hand with plaque or poor oral hygiene
- Gum disease that irritates gum tissue and can lead to tooth loss
- Bad breath that can be embarrassing and constant, despite how often you brush your teeth
- Persistent stains that build up over time
- Loose or damaged teeth that can lead to tooth loss
- Oral cancer that we screen for at each appointment
Preventing Cavities and Tooth Decay
Cavities can easily form before you know it. They are tiny holes on the surface of your tooth caused by many factors, including ingesting sugary drinks and treats, poor oral hygiene, and more.
Because we can't see them, cavities that start small can grow into larger holes that allow bad bacteria into the inner portion of your tooth. When this occurs, the tooth becomes infected and can start to be painful.
Dr. Roberto Bellegarrigue can identify these tiny holes using digital dental x-rays and treat them before the tooth becomes compromised.
It's Never Too Late for a Dental Cleaning
Give us a call today to schedule your next dental cleaning!